- Measure over a bodysuit or underwear.
- Tie a ribbon or string around the natural waistline (the most narrowest part of your body). The ribbon will be an easy reference point.
- Use a Cloth Measuring Tape to get accurate measurements. Take your measurements in inches.
- If you do not have a cloth measuring tape you can use a piece of string that is long enough to go around the widest part of your body you will be measuring, plus few more inches to hold it comfortably. When measuring with the string mark the string and measure it with a ruler.
- Record all your measurements.
To ensure a comfortable fit, when measuring, hold tape snug (not tight) around the body.
How to Measure Chest (Bust)
Stand with your feet together. Hold tape lightly and measure across fullest part of the chest, under arm and straight across the back.
How to Measure Waist
Stand with your stomach in natural position; do not tuck in your stomach. Position the tape around the natural waist line (directly over the ribbon). Measure firm but not tight around the natural waistline and leave one finger under the tape so you can breathe in your dress.
How to Measure Hips
Stand with your feet close together. Measure around the widest part of the hip line, at the top of the legs, around 7-9 inches below your natural waistline. (Ribbon mark)
How to Measure Inseam
Measure along the inside leg from crotch to the bottom hem of the Pants or Trousers. For example take your favorite pants that fit well. Smooth the crease on front back. Lay the pants flat measure from the crotch to the hem of the leg.
How to Measure Sleeve Length
With arm relaxed at your sides and slightly bent, measure from Center back neck, over shoulder point, down the outside of the arm to the wrist.
How to Measure Torso (Swimsuits)
Start by the neck at the highest point of the shoulder, then measure down over the chest through the crotch, and continue up the back to the starting point.
Amscan Size Guide